The Medical University of Vienna (MedUniWien) is one of the most renowned medical training and research institutions in whole Europe. With approximately 8,000 students, it is the largest medical training institution in the German-speaking world. Comprising 26 university clinics, three clinical institutes, 12 medical-theoretical centres as well as numerous highly specialised laboratories, it is also one of the top European research institutions in the biomedical field. With a broad range of PhD programmes and excellent teaching staff, MedUniWien offers an optimal research and training environment for young researchers.
From May 2019, a PhD research position will be available at the Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology in the working group of Assoc. Prof. Dr. Alexander Kirschner (www.meduniwien.ac.at/hai):
Scientific assistant (Pre Doc, 30 h)
- Conducting a doctoral thesis within the framework of a competitive EU research project on "Automated Online Flow Cytometry for Real-time Monitoring of Bacteria in Drinking Water".
- Application and further development of new trend-setting technologies for the quantification of water-borne bacteria in drinking water.
- Cooperation with scientific cooperation partners in the field of microbiological water quality as well as chemical water analysis (in particular TU Wien and KL Krems).
- In addition to laboratory work, also field sampling has to be conducted.
- Diploma or Master Degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Microbial Ecology, Environmental Analytics, or similar disciplines
- Experience with microbiological or molecular biological methods
- Experience with microscopy and flow cytometry of advantage
- Interest in scientific work, statistical or bioinformatic data analysis and writing scientific publications
- Manual skills and pleasure in manual laboratory work
- Willingness to be mobile for sampling and work in laboratories of project partners
- Independent and reliable work attitude
- Friendly, open personality with team spirit
- Excellent German speaking skills (C1)
- Group B driving license
You can look forward to a challenging job in a highly motivated, nationally and internationally networked team. The working group is a partner within the 'Inter-University Cooperation Centre Water & Health' (www.waterandhealth.at) and conducting research in close cooperation with research groups at Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien) and Karl Landsteiner University of Health Sciences (KL Krems). The monthly minimum gross salary for this position is € 2.112 (30 h).
Your application documents include letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and certificates and should be sent by e-mail to Assoc. Prof. Dr. Alexander Kirschner at the Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, 1090 Vienna, Austria by 15 March 2019 (email@example.com).